The genesis of the Faculty of Management Studies and Research goes back to the Department of Economics from where a separate Department of Commerce was created in 1944 which developed into the Faculty of Commerce. The Department of Business Administration was created in 1972 as a part of Faculty of Commerce.
A separate Faculty of Management Studies & Research was created in March 1996 to cater to the growing academic needs of the students of management studies. At present there is only one department of study under this Faculty. The faculty plans to expand and establish five more departments once the New Management Complex is functional. The Faculty runs the PhD programme in collaboration with the All India Management Association, New Delhi for the working executives and the academicians.