Department of Economics
Department of Economics
Department of Economics is one of the oldest departments
established simultaneously with Aligarh Muslim University in 1920. Since its
inception, the Department has been offering undergraduate and postgraduate
courses in Economics. It attracts the largest number of students at the
undergraduate and postgraduate levels from within and outside the country. The
Department has a long tradition of imparting quality education and conducting
in-depth research. Every year Students qualify the UGC-NET and JRF and Maulana
Azad National Fellowship to continue their studies in Economics. Many of its
alumni hold prominent positions both in academics and administrative
spheres across the country and the world - a small testimony, perhaps, to the excellence
of training that we provide to our students.
The teaching programmes in the Department are focused on proper blending of 'quality' and 'relevance'. This is sought to be achieved by periodic updating of syllabi in conformity with the advancement of the knowledge in the subject with equal emphasis on theoretical and applied economics. Department introduces new courses from time to time and makes tutorials more effective by establishing close student-teacher contact. The research programmes give special attention to economic problems of the country. The thrust areas include the various fields of Development Economics, Economic Growth, International Economics, Financial Economics, Agricultural Economics, Environmental Economics, Industrial Economics, Health Economics, Monetary Economics, Labour Economics, History of Economic Thought, Public Finance, and Population Studies.
The vision of the department consists of exploring the economic study and analysis, policy framing and implementation issues faced by the Indian and global economy. The department thrives to reach standards of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy.
- The department is committed to the advancement of knowledge and learning in the field of economics. The department also envisions achieving high standards of academic performance to provide quality education to students and to deal with economic, social and business realities.
The mission of the department is to provide, through both teaching and research, a better understanding of the global, national and local economic issues that will face our society now and in the future. In this backdrop we aim:
To provide our students with effective teaching and outstanding research techniques;
To provide our students with appropriate analytical skills to lay the groundwork for lifelong learning;
To instill the path of intellectual transformation among undergraduate and postgraduate students;
To make our students to understand microeconomic and macroeconomic concepts, and their applications;
To enable our students to become policy-literate and thus be more informed as citizens;
To prepare our students for successful careers as applied economists, and
To prepare our undergraduate students for postgraduate training in economics, law and business administration.
We affirm and are guided by the values of Aligarh Muslim University as a community of scholars and individual;
We are dedicated to the promotion of freedom of expression and diversity in perspective, background, and experience;
We value our colleagues, students and treat them with dignity. We trust and support one another and we value everyone's contributions;
We serve to prepare for any unexpected outcome or situation.Weblinks of Departmental Activities
Department of Economics, Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) in Hundred Years.
Faculties and Students of Department Appreciates U.P Budget 2022
- Independence Day Celebrations 2022 and Prize Distribution Ceremony organised under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
- Shikshak Parv-2022 (Teacher's Day)- Special Lectures organised under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
- Rashtriya Ekta Diwas 2022- National Unity Day 2022 organised under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
Independence Day Celebrations and Prize Distribution Ceremony organised under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (Media Coverages and Video):
- On AMU's Twitter:-https://twitter.com/AMUofficialPRO/status/1562409291969069056t=3suzQwhj9nMtPdXYkJB_WA&s=08
- Published in Hindustan Times:-https://epaper.hindustantimes.com/Home/ShareArticle?OrgId=24815193b40
- Published in AMU News:- https://www.amu.ac.in/news/2022/8/23/independence-day-prize-distribution-at-dept-of-economics
Shikshak Parv 2022 (Teacher's Day)- Celebrated under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (Media Coverages and Video):
- Radiance Viewsweekly:-https://api.amu.ac.in/storage//file/75/notice-and-circular/1663782525.pdf
- AMU's Twitter:-https://twitter.com/AMUofficialPRO/status/1569315955532267522?=01BAfUIRCcZMGurJFXddGQ&s=08
- Published in AMU News:-https://www.amu.ac.in/news/2022/09/12/shikshak-parv-at-department-of-economics
- YouTube Link (Shikshak Parv 2022): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3W7kgy_6qs
Rashtriya Ekta Diwas 2022 - Celebrating ‘Unity Day’ on the Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel organised under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (Media Coverages/Videos):-
- YouTube Link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUenSq6N7Iw
- Facebook Link-https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=425046729784768&extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-AN_GK0T-GK1C&ref=sharing