Department of South African & Brazilian Studies
South African & Brazilian Studies
About The Department
DEPARTMENT of SOUTH AFRICAN & BRAZILIAN STUDIES
Department for South African & Brazilian Studies (CSBS) - an independent, autonomous, interdisciplinary, area study was established as a centre at the Aligarh Muslim University following the approval of the University Grants Commission and its endorsement by the University Academic Council in its meeting on 24th October 2011. The Centre was subsequently upgraded and converted into a Department w.e.f June 2015.
Department's focus is on the study of South Africa and Brazil in India. Studies
and researchers in this multi-disciplinary Department primarily focus on
contemporary problems and issues pertaining to India, South Africa and Brazil,
the three emerging multi-ethnic and multi-cultural democracies from three
different geographically distant regions.
India, South Africa and Brazil have a common approach on many global issues, including UNSC reform, the future of multilateral trade negotiations etc. and this has led to their fruitful cooperation and coordination in the multilateral arenas be it IBSA, BRICS, G-4, BASIC or other organizations.
The purpose of the Department is to conduct policy-oriented research of use to scholars & policy-makers. This newly created Department, apart from enrolling researchers under its Ph.D Programme, will encourage long and short term research projects in collaboration with other institutions of learning, the Line ministry , concerned embassies , ICCR ,ICSSR ,ICHR etc. primarily on contemporary problems and issues concerning South Africa & Brazil and their linkages with India with the following objectives
To conduct policy oriented research that is relevant to our scholars and policy makers , rigorous by academic standards
· To play a major role in popularizing Indian higher education abroad and sharing the educational infrastructure between India and the countries of her focus
· To undertake policy studies and provide inputs to the government through a continuous interaction with the Ministry of External Affairs and ministry of Home Affairs.
To prepare professionals or experts who can have the expertise on diverse aspects (historical, socio-economic, political and geo-strategic) problems of a specific region
· To strengthen the Department with competent and committed faculty research staff with sufficient academic scholarship on the countries of their focus , including speaking and writing skills in the native languages of those countries.
· To develop a data bank as a repository of important resource materials , including areas of collaboration between India , South Africa and Brazil.
· To take-up studies in the educational policies existing in the countries of its focus.