Faculty of Social Sciences
Faculty of Social Sciences
Faculty system was introduced in January, 1944 during the Vice-Chancellorship of Dr. Zia-Uddin Ahmad (1941-1947). Four faculties namely, Arts, Engineering, Science and Theology were established. In 1969, Faculty of Arts was bifurcated and Faculty of Social Sciences was created, with the Department of Economics, Education, History, Political Science, Sociology, Islamic Studies, West Asian Studies, Library & Information Science and Psychology attached to it. Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Physical health & Sports Education, Women's Studies and Centre for South African & Brazilian Studies were established later on. Department of West Asian Studies and South African & Brazilian Studies are now part of the Faculty of International Studies. At present Twelve Departments/Centre are attached to the Faculty of Social Sciences. Proposal for establishing Department of Anthropology and Department of Population Studies has been forwarded to UGC.
Many Departments under the Faculty have distinguished themselves nationally and internationally for high standard of teaching and research. Department of Social Work is in Consistent Rankings in Top-10 Institutions of Social Work in India. Also, the Department got First Position under Swachh Bharat Summer Internship 2018, 2019. Department of History since 1968 has been maintaining the status of Centre of Advanced Study and Research. Departments of Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Physical Health and sports Education have been awarded DRS I-SAP (Special Assistance Programme) by UGC, while Departments of Library & Information Science and Mass Communication have got major projects funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. Department of Sociology & Social Work was offered grant by UNICEF. Seven Journals are being published by different Departments. An Interdisciplinary Journal of Social Science is going to be published by the Faculty of Social Sciences very soon.
Faculty of Social Sciences at present offers 10 Undergraduate and 19 Post Gradate programmes in addition to several Diploma and Certificate Courses. Total number of student enrolled in the Faculty are 3522 including under-graduate 1177, Post Graduate 1558 & Research Students 787. Number of Foreign Students enrolled in different programmes is 96.
The Faculty has the distinction of establishing 'Social Science Library' (ISO-9001:2008 Certified). It is registered in Limca Book of Records 2016 and is one of the first of its kind in the world. It is visited by thousands of scholars of about 174 countries across the globe. The Social Sciences faculty also has a Conference Hall equipped with latest digital technology.
Former Deans of the Faculty
of Social Sciences:
1. Prof. Mohd. Shabbir Khan (22.04.1969 – 21.04.1971)
2. Prof. A.H. Haqqi (22.04.1971 – 02.07.1972)
3. Prof. Mohd. Shabbir Khan (03.07.1972 – 02.07.1975)
4. Prof. Anwar Ansari (03.07.1975 – 02.07.1977)
5. Prof. K.A. Nizami (03.07.1977 – 30.07.1980)
6. Prof. Irfan Habib (31.07.1980 – 04.08.1981)
7. Prof. Kishwar Shabbir Khan (05.08.1981 – 07.03.1982)
8. Prof. Irfan Habib (08.03.1982 – 30.07.1982)
9. Prof. Kishwar Shabbier Khan (31.07.1982 – 30.07.1984)
10. Prof. A. Jamil Qadri (31.07.1984 – 30.07.1986)
11. Prof. M.A. Raz (31.07.1986 – 30.07.1988)
12. Prof. R.C. Gaur (01.08.1988 – 03.07.1989)
13. Prof. Mahmoodul Haq (04.07.1989 – 03.07.1991)
14. Prof. A.F. Usmani (04.07.1991 – 23.05.1992)
15. Prof. Zameer Uddin Siddiqui (24.05.1992 – 08.04.1993)
16. Prof. Iqtidar Alam Khan (09.04.1993 – 08.07.1994)
17. Prof. A.P. Sharma (09.07.1994 – 14.07.1994)
18. Prof. Noor Mohammad (15.07.1994 – 13.05.1996)
19. Prof. I.H. Siddiqui (14.05.1996 –08.04.1997)
20. Prof. Noor Mohammad (09.04.1997 –13.01.1999)
21. Prof. S.P. Gupta (14.01.1999 – 13.01.2001)
22. Prof. Mansura Haider (14.01.2001 – 13.01.2003)
23. Prof. Noor Mohammad (14.01.2003 – 09.04.2003)
24. Prof. Shireen Moosvi (10.04.2003 – 09.04.2005)
25. Prof. Akhtar Zaheer Rizvi (10.04.2005 – 01.07.2005)
26. Prof. Hamida Ahmad (02.07.2005 – 01.07.2007)
27. Prof. M. Murtaza Khan (02.07.2007 – 01.07.2009)
28. Prof. C.P.S. Chauhan (02.07.2009 – 01.07.2011)
29. Prof. Anwar Jahan Zuberi (02.07.2011 – 28.09.2012)
30. Prof. Shabahat Husain (29.09.2012 – 29.09.2014)
31. Prof. N.A.K. Durrani (29.09.2014 – 29.09.2016)
32. Prof. Shamim A. Ansari (29.09.2016 – 25.06.2018)
33. Prof. Akbar Husain (26.06.2018 – 25.06.2020)
34. Prof. Nisar A. Khan (26.06.2020 – 25.06.2022)
· B.A. (Hons.)
· Diploma in Teaching
· Certificate in Turkish
Functions of the Office of the Dean:
Ø Holds Faculty, CASR and Committee’s meetings.
Ø Convenes Meetings of Selection Committees for the appointment of Assistant Professor (Contractual), Guest Faculty, Project Fellow, Project Assistant, Research Assistant etc.
Ø Conducts Entrance Test for admission to Ph.D. programme.
Ø Allot Faculty Roll Number and issue admit card/name removal slip to students of UG, PG and Ph.D. programmes.
Ø Compiles, maintains and displays the attendance record of the UG and PG students.
Ø Maintains record of the examination results of the students of all courses.
Ø Process the leave applications of Ph.D. students.
Ø Process the leave applications of the faculty members.
Ø Process complaints/grievances of students, faculty members and non-teaching staff
Ø Theses, dissertations and project reports received from the departments/ centre are scrutinised by the Dean and then forwarded to the concerned office.
Ø Registration and continuation forms of all the courses are submitted in Dean's office for record.
Ø Examination forms of all courses except Ph.D. programme are collected and sent to the office of controller of Examinations.
Ø Papers/documents/applications received from the offices of the Chairpersons and Director are scrutinized by the Dean, and then forwarded to the concerned office.
Ø Elections of AMUSU and AMU Court Membership are conducted under the Supervision of Dean