B.A,, M.A., M.Th., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Islamic Philosophy, Islamic Aesthetics, Sufism, Iqbaliyat, Existentialism, Comparative study of Religions
H.No. 4/131 A -1, Street No. 6, Tayyeb Colony (Nagla Mallah, New S.S. Nagar, Aligarh -202 002
Dr Latif Hussain Shah Kazmi is a Professor(since 2009) in the Department of Philosophy, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh. He has been appointed as the Chairman Department of Philosophy, AMU, Aligarh from 2nd March 2019. He has carried out his PhD project in Islamic Philosophy and Existentialism. His areas of Specialization/research are: Islamic Philosophy, Iqbaliyat, Existentialism, Sufism, Ethics, Aesthetics (Western, Islamic and Indian) and Comparative Study of Religions. He has been teaching Islamic Philosophy, Ethics, Sufism, Indian and Muslim Philosophy, Social and Political Philosophy, Iqbaliyyat, Aesthetics (Western, Islamic and Indian), to the graduate and post granulate levels for the last thirty-Six years at A.M.U. Aligarh. In addition, he taught Philosophy of Art / Aesthetics to the graduate and post-graduate students of the Department of Fine Arts / Women's College, A.M.U., Aligarh from 1990 to 2010. He has published more than Seventy-Six research articles and Eleven books and participated in Hundred-sixteen national/ International seminars/ conferences and presented research papers and delivered Lectures. Prof Latif Kazmi is presently working on a project on "The Ethical Philosophy of the Bhagavad Gita and the Qur'an". He is a Founding Member and Regional Representative of the International Society of Islamic Philosophy (ISIP), (Washington, 2008) in the Indian subcontinent and Sri Lanka. His Visited Countries are: UAE: (1992, 94); USA (2008); Iran (2009, 2010, 2018); Bangladesh (2011); Austria & Greece 2013; China (2018).
- CONTRIBUTION OF SUFISM IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF COMPOSITE CULTURE OF INDIA
Sufism or Isl?mic spirituality is as old as Isl?m itself. It has its own uniqueness, extensiveness and breadth. Sufism is the spiritual or inward (batin) dimension of Isl?m which is founded on the three noteworthy segments – Shar'iah, Tariqah and Haqiqah. Combined with affection for God and service to humankind, this otherworldly angle has a more extensive, liberal and accommodative and mentally appealing nature dependent on one's existential experience. Sufis or 'Urfa across contrasts of social moulding, philosophical translations, religious interpretations and jurisprudential recreations have been collectively situated to moral battle just as otherworldly changes inferable from their overwhelming adoration for God, their mission for God-acknowledgment and service to mankind. Their non-teleological or deontological pledge to principal estimations of Isl?m and their genuine love of God developed a universalist, perennialist and a visionary otherworldly journey whose contemporary assignment by Muslims and assimilation by non-Muslims can make ready for harmony, love, catholicity, pluralism just as equity and supportable improvement for Indian composite culture specifically and world human culture, by and large. Therefore, genuine Sufis are the genuine beneficiary of these qualities. They are in a true sense responsible for the growth of the composite culture of India.
PUBLICATIONS: Books / Research Papers:
Books: National/International Publications:
- Philosophy of Iqbal (Iqbal and Existentialism), A.P.H. Publishing Corporation, New Delhi, 1997.
- Iqbal and Sartre on Freedom and Creativity, VDM Verlag Dr. Muller GmbH. & Co., Dudweller L. Germany, 2010.
- Studies in Islamic Philosophy (Part Two) (Modern Islamic Thought), the Aligarh Muslim University Press, Aligarh, 2010.
- Studies in Islamic Philosophy (Part One) (Classical Islamic Thought), National Printers and Publishers (Regd.) Aligarh (UP) India, 2012-13.
- Sir Sayyid on Education and Tolerance (Sir Syed Academy, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, 2015).
- Philosophy of Man and God: Iqbal, Rumi and Sartre: Blue Rose Pub., New Delhi, 2016-17(ISBN: 978-93-86126-98-6).
- Khutbat-i-Ahmadiyyah ka Mut‘alia (Urdu), Edts. Obaidullah Fahad, Latif Hussain Shah Kazmi, Seerat Committee, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, 2016.
- Non-Muslim Perception of the Prophet of Islam, Edts. Obaidullah Fahad, Latif Hussain Shah Kazmi, Seerat Committee, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, 2017. (ISBN: 978-93-84354-65-7).
- Islamic Thought and Culture,National Printers and Publishers (Regd.) Aligarh (UP) India (??2020).
- Islamic Spiritual Tradition,National Printers and Publishers (Regd.) Aligarh (UP) India (??2021).
- Islamic Spiritual Tradition,
- Ethico-Political Philosophy of Ibn Rushd, A.P.H. Pub. House, New Delhi (under Publication).
- Dimensions of Iqbal’s Thought, National Printers and Publishers (Regd.) Aligarh (UP) India (Under Preparation).
- Tasawwrat-i-Iqbal, (Urdu) National Printers and Publishers (Regd.) Aligarh (UP) India, (2020).
- Islamic Art: A Spiritual Message, Iranian Institute of Philosophy, Tehran, Iran, (under Publication).
Articles/ Papers Published/Presented(National/International):
- Sixty-Six (76) Articles have been published in Indian and Foreign Journals some as Book Chapters.
- Hundred-Sixteen (116) Research Papers have been Presented/Lectures delivered in National and International Congresses/ Seminars / Conferences.