Aligarh Muslim University
is basically a residential University since its establishment but when the
number of day-scholars (non- boarding) was raised substantially, a need was
felt to start a separate club for them. Realizing that day-scholars have to
cover a distance of at least 2-6 miles to attend classes and once back to their
home, it is hardly possible to reach University campus to avail library and other
recreational extra curricular activities. Thus, MAO College Day Scholars' Club
was established in 1910 under the patronage of Nawab Viqarul Mulk (1841-1917).
Nawab Viqarul Mulk was the secretary of MAO College
from December 1907 to July 1912. The opening ceremony of the Day Scholar's Club
was performed on August 6, 1911 somewhere in a rented building at Aatishbazan,
Upper Fort (Bala-e Qila). Abdul Majid Khawaja (1885-1962) became its
Founder-President. Later, the Club was shifted to another rented site of the
University at Danpur Compound, Rasal Ganj, Aligarh.
"Intermediate Day Scholar' Union" of Muslim University
came into existence in 1920. The Union might be a continuing succession of MAO
College Day Scholars' Club when MAO College
was upgraded to Muslim
exclusive Union had its own elected team of
day-scholars. In 1932, the Intermediate College was abolished in accordance with
the recommendation of the ?Rahmatullah Committee?. Hence the Intermediate Day
Scholars? Union of Intermediate College was also dissolved. However,
intermediate classes continued in the University. A separate society of that
intermediate classes of Aligarh
namely 'Intermediate Students' Society (ISS) later on came into existence.
This ISS had no relation with Day Scholars' Club. ISS was later on merged with
AMU Students' Union in 1956. After 1932, Intermediate Day Scholars' Union was
renamed as Muslim University Day Scholars' Union,
which was again rechristened as Non-Resident Student' Center (NRSC 'B') in
1943. Students of these NRSC Attached Boarders Club were enrolled in different
residential hall like Sir Syed Hall, Aftab Hall etc. An exclusive NRSC Provost
Office came into existence at the end of 1956 under the Proctorship of Prof.
Satish Chandra. This newly created office was given a status of a hall like any
other residential Hall. Prof. Satish Chandra was thus the first provost of NRSC
and remained both procter and provost till 1958. Prof. S.M. Shafi of Commerce
was Procter of AMU and Patron of Day Scholar's Club from 1931 to 1942 and then
from 1948 to 1956.
Non-Resident Students' Center has a club like atmosphere. It has been
running two clubs one in the city area (NRSC 'B') and other in the civil lines
area (NRSC 'A') for all non resident students. The very purpose of the Center is
to train students in building up and inculcating qualities of mind, soul and
body. Both Club holds many sports activities including creative programmes
under various sections such as literary, hobbies and cultural. Each programme
is celebrated with a great deal of enthusiasm and fanfare. Best students are
awarded 'Colour', 'Provost' and 'President' prizes in these various sections.
With a view to maintain the desired standard of sociability and academic
discipline, these Clubs are assisted by a provost and separate team of
presidents, wardens and students' office bearers. The cumulative
resourcefulness of all the wardens and presidents improve the general tone and
administration of the clubs.
Today only formerly known club 'A' is in existence.