Department of Applied Physics
About the Department
UGC DRS, DST-PURSE and DST FIST SPONSORED DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Applied Physics in the Faculty of Engineering and Technology of the Aligarh Muslim University became a full fledge Department in January 1988 and prior to this it was part of Applied Sciences Department. The Department consists of 11 teaching and 13 non-teaching staff. Apart from their teaching assignment the faculty members are also engaged in research activities.
Till now 30 students have acquired their M. Phil. Degrees and 47 students have obtained their Ph.D. Degrees under the supervision of the faculty members of the Department. Currently, 19 students are registered for Ph.D. About 240 research papers have been published in reputed refereed Journals during last five years in International and National Journals. More than 40 students of M.Tech. and Advanced PG Diploma in Nanotechnology dissertations have also been supervised by the faculty members of the Department. Realizing the importance of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology the Department started offering an Open Elective paper on Nanophysics and Nanotechnology in 2003-2004. Striding further in the direction of promoting teaching and research in the area of Nanotechnology, the Department started the following two new Post Graduate Courses with effect from the Session 2007-2008.
1. M.Tech. in Nanotechnology
2. Advanced P.G. Diploma in Nanotechnology
In 2017 M.Tech. Nanotechnology and Advanced P.G. Diploma in Nanotechnology have been shifted to Newly created Interdisciplinar Centre for Nanotechnology (INC).
Department has started a New P.G. Program M.Tech.- Materials Science & Technology w.e.f. 2020-2021.
The U.G.C. has accorded its approval to start Advanced P.G. Diploma in Nanotechnology under its Innovative Programme; Teaching and Research in Emerging Areas. The M.Tech. (Nanotechnology) programme has been funded by the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India under its ambitious programme of Nano Mission.
In addition to above, CST, Govt. of UP awarded a Centre of Excellence in Materials Science (Nanomaterials) in 2009 and Department of Applied Physics is also beneficiary of DST-PURSE programme. Further, Department was awarded SAP (DRS-I) programme of UGC in 2010.
Department has been provided funding under SAP (DRS-II) programme of UGC and FIST programme of DST in 2015.
The vision of the Department of Applied Physics is to be the leading Department in interdisciplinary education and research in the region and to be recognized internationally as a leader in the field of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
The mission of the Department of Applied Physics is to promote excellence and innovation in teaching and research in interdisciplinary area “development of novel materials” for the benefit of mankind.
In order to accomplish the stated mission, the Department will:
• Advance the frontiers of knowledge and role of Aligarh Muslim University through quality teaching of basic and interdisciplinary science at Under Graduate & Post Graduate levels and indulge in extensive innovative product development oriented Applied Physics research.
• Design and revise curricula on a regular basis so as to provide effective use of Physics in real-time engineering problems.
• Educate and train young engineers and researchers to stand to fulfil university, government, societal and industrial needs.
• Accelerate transfer of knowledge and provide testing and consulting services to industry in order to improve quality of research.
• Disseminate knowledge by organizing workshops, seminars and conferences.
• Attract and generate support funds which are critical to the long term sustainment of the education and research (ER) program.