logo

Sir Syed Hall (South)

Sir Syed Hall (South)

INTRODUCTION TO SIR SYED HALL (SOUTH)

 

          Sir Syed's dream of uplifting the Muslims community in the field of Education was substantially realized when Lord Lytton laid the foundation stone of MAO College in 1877. Later his efforts bore fruits when MAO College was raised to the status of a University in 1920.

          The premises of Sir Syed Hall are engraved on the hearts of Muslims in India. In Sir Syed Hall (South) complex many heritage buildings are included such as Strachey Hall, Mushtaq Manzil, Asman Manzil, Nizam Museum and Lytton Library. Besides these buildings the famous Victoria Gate (1883) is situated in the Southern direction of the Hall and Jama Masjid is in the North-West direction.

          Historically AMU is a residential University. Sir Syed Hall is the oldest Hall of the University. In its character it differs from other halls of residence. In 1983 due to administrative reasons Sir Syed Hall was bifurcated into two halls and one portion was named Sir Syed Hall (South). There are 107 penta-seated rooms in the hall consisting of 6 hostels, in which 515 students are residing. This hall is an example of harmonious corporate living in the University where students each with his own diverse language and culture live together.

Following dignitaries have served this prestigious Hall as Provosts

Name of the Provost

Session

Prof. Nafees Ahmad

13.12.1983 to 06.06.1984

Prof. M. Tajuddin Taj Shamsi

07.06.1984 to 31.08.1988

Prof. Mohammad Ajmal

01.089.1988 to 02.12.1990