The founder of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) Sir Syed Ahmad Khan was a strict disciplinarian and highly health conscious person.
He stabilised the very first dispensary for the residents of boarding house of Mohammedan Anglo Oriental (MAO) College, in 1882.
On 23rd April 1901, the then Viceroy Lord Curzon visited and inspected the College and the Boarding House and wish to make a gift/donation to the College for its immediate needs.
The then Principal of MAO College, Mr. Morrison informed him the need of a full-fledged hospital for boarding house within the college itself.
Lord Curzon readily gifted Rs. 1000/- for the project and the foundation of the proposed hospital was led on the same day at the sight of present University Health Centre. Since then the hospital came to be known as Curzon Hospital.
As the MAO College was elevated to the university in 1920, the Curzon Hospital was renamed as the University Health Service (UHS).