Public Relations Office

Important Landmarks

24 May 1875

Inauguration of the School (Madarsatul Uloom) at Sami Manzil, Jail Road, Aligarh presided by Maulvi Mohd. Karim, President of the Managing Committee. Maulvi Samiullah?s son Mr. Hamidullah Khan admitted as the first student. 

1 June 1875

Boarding House started with seven students on the roll with a budget of Rs. 989/- per month.  Managing Committee consisted of Maulvi Samiullah, Chiragh Ali, Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, Syed Mahmud, Raja Jaikishan Das, Nawab Ziauddin Khan and Maulvi Ahsan  Nanotavi etc. 

28 June 1875

Mr. H.G.I. Siddon took over as Head Master of the School on a salary of Rs. 400/- per month.  Mr. Baijnath Prasad was appointed as Second Master along with Maulvi Abul Hasan, Maulana Mohd. Akbar, Syed Jafer Ali, Maulvi Najaf Ali etc. 

12 November 1875

Sir William Muir, Lt. Governor of U.P. visited the institution.  He was presented with an address of welcome on behalf of the School in which his scheme of the College was described in detail. 

6 December 1875

H.H. Mohindra Singh, the Maharaja of Patiala, accompanied by his Chief Minister Khalifa Muhammed Hasan paid a visit to the School and announced a grant of Rs. 1,800/- per annum.  He was appointed the first Visitor of the institution. 

25 August 1876

Sir Syed permanently settled in Aligarh after 37 years of government service. 

8 November 1877

Syed Ahmed Khulusi Effendi, the Ambassador of Turkey visited the College. 

8 January 1877

Lord Lytton, the Viceroy and Governor General of India laid the foundation stone of the M.A.O. College.  Raja Shambhu Narayan Singh, Raja Jai Kishan Das, Rao Kishan Kumar and others, were also present. 

1 January 1878

Intermediate classes started and the college affiliated to the Calcutta University for F.A. Examination. 

12 January 1878

Sir Richard Temple, Governor of Bombay paid a flying visit to the college. 

February 1878

Cricket Club was founded under the patronage of the founder, Sir Syed.  Mahboob Alam and Rama Shankar Mishra were appointed as Secretary and Captain, respectively. 

10 December 1880

Sir John Strachey, the Lt. Governor of U.P. paid a Farewell visit on the eve of his retirement from ICS. 

1 January 1881

Four students appeared in the B.A. Examination.  Mr. Ishwari Prasad was the first student to pass the examination. 

5 February 1883

Sir Alffred Lyall, Lt. Governor of U.P. visited the College and declared open the newly constructed classrooms. 


Riding School was set up. 

26 August 1884

Students? Union (Siddons Union Club) was inaugurated under the president ship of Theodore Beck.  Khwaja Sajjad Husain was declared Vice President and Syed Mohammed Ali Secretary of the Union. 


Foundation Stone of the Victoria Gate was laid. 

22 December 1886

All India Muslim Educational Conference was inaugurated. 

3 January 1887

A deputation of the College Fund Committee called upon the Nizam of Hyderabad, Mr. Mehboob Ali Khan, to seek the permission to dedicate the College Museum to him. 

16 November 1887

The College was affiliated to Allahabad University. 

1 January 1888

Sir John Edge, the first Vice Chancellor of the Allahabad University visited the College on the occasion of the anniversary of the Siddons Union Club. 

24 July 1888

Sir Asman Jah Bahadur, Prime Minister of Hyderabad visited the College. 

21 December 1889

Trustee Bill passed and Board of Trustees replaced the College Fund Committee. Sir Syed was elected life Honorary Secretary and Syed Mahmud life Joint Secretary. 

November 1890

Duty Society was inaugurated at the initiative of Sahibzada Aftab Ahmad Khan. 

25June 1891

The brotherhood or ?The Ikhwan? was set up. Its membership was open to the present and past AMU students and teachers. It was later on converted into Old Boys? Association.