Department of Chemical Engineering
About the Department
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The idea of the creation of the Department of Chemical Engineering at AMU was born with the visit of his Highness Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan of the UAE in 1975. The approval of the UGC was obtained for the creation of the Department in the fifth Five Year Plan and it came into existence in 1978, when the first undergraduate course in Chemical Engineering started with an intake of thirty students.
A Post-graduate Diploma in Petroleum Processing was started in the Department in 1987, which was upgraded to M.Sc. Engg. (Petroleum Processing) in 1988 and subsequently transferred to the Department of Petroleum Studies(erstwhile Institute of Petroleum Studies and Chemical Engineering). A master program, M. Tech. (Chemical Engineering) was started in 1999 with specialization in ‘Process Modelling and Simulation’. Another specialization, ‘Computer Aided Design of Process Plant’ has also been approved
Apart from B. Tech. and M. Tech. programs the Department also offers PhD in Chemical Engineering in a wide range of thrust areas: heat transfer, waste management, nanotechnology, mass transfer, enhanced distillation thermodynamics, and modelling & simulation etc. Seven Ph.D have been awarded and Five are in progress.
Both B. Tech and M. Tech program have been accredited by NBA for 5 years
To be a world class Chemical Engineering Department that imparts high quality education to its graduates and prepares them to be leaders in chemical engineering and allied fields.
1. To produce globally proficient, ethically enduring and professional chemical engineers to serve the needs of society as engineers, technocrats, scientists, entrepreneurs and policy makers.
2. To foster process engineering knowledge through collaborative research and innovation with leading academic institutions and industries.
3. To prepare the students coming from different socioeconomic cultures including the marginalized sections of society for a flourishing career in chemical engineering and related fields.
Program Specific Objectives (PSOs):
B. Tech. in Chemical Engineering
1. Apply the fundamentals of mathematics, science and engineering knowledge to identify, formulate, design and investigate complex problems in chemical engineering and its complimentary disciplines.
2. Apply the appropriate and modern engineering software tools in chemical engineering to engage in lifelong learning and to successfully adopt in multidisciplinary environment.
3. To make aware the impacts of professional engineering solutions in societal, environmental context, show professional ethics and be able to communicate effectively.
M. Tech. in Chemical Engineering (Process Modeling and Simulation)
1. To make the students a problem solver with a breadth and perspective on modeling, methods and to develop ability to generate reasonable solutions of complex problems related to chemical engineering and allied fields
2. To prepare the students to use variety of relevant software tools and methodologies and make them up-to-date with the current state of art technologies.
Adjunct Faculty: Prof Surendra Kumar Chemical Engg Deptt IIT Roorkee