Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Master of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S.) degree from any institute recognized by Dental Council of India., New Delhi
To complete three years residency program based on academic, clinical observation and practical training.
A Maxillofacial surgeon can establish his/her own private practice, can work in any superficiality hospital besides dental hospital .
He/she can also work as faculty member in any teaching institute.
If he has done fellowship with Head and Neck Oncology from any regional cancer centre, he can work as head and neck oncology surgeon in a cancer hospital.
Opportunities also exist in the areas of Forensic Science, Armed Forces & Railways.
Opportunities are also available in the Research & Advisory departments of a pharmaceutical and other companies manufacturing oral care products.
. The training program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is structured to achieve the following five objectives
. Communicative skills and ability
- To have acquired adequate knowledge and understanding of the etiology, patho-physiology and diagnosis, treatment planning of various common oral and Maxillofacial surgical problems both minor and major in nature
- To have understood the general surgical principles like pre and post surgical management, particularly evaluation, post surgical care, fluid and electrolyte management, blood transfusion and post surgical pain management.
- Understanding of basic sciences relevant to practice of oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Able to identify social, cultural, economic, genetic and environmental factors and their relevance to disease process management in the oral and Maxillofacial region.
- Essential knowledge of personal hygiene and infection control, prevention of cross-infection and safe disposal of hospital waste keeping in view the high prevalence of hepatitis and HIV.
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
BDS with one year paid compulsory rotatory internship
Through entrance examination All india level
1. Teaching post in Government as well as private Dental Colleges 2. Consultant as Multinational hospitals 3. at Trauma Centres