Department of Statistics and Operations Research
Statistics is one of the best choices among students to choose as their career. The students may have different opportunities in the field of industry, marketing, economics, biology, public health, sports etc as statistician and data analyst. Apart from the above, students also have a job opportunity in the government sectors like Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation after qualifying all India basis examination ISS, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICARI), Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM), information and communication technology (ICT), medical colleges etc. with positions like director, scientist, statistician, data analyst etc. Students may also choose teaching career in university and colleges in India and abroad after pursuing higher education like Ph.D.
The main objective of the M.Sc.(Statistics) program to develop an interest among students in the field of theoretical and applied statistics. The curriculum is designed so that,
To interface students with different areas of statistics like statistical inference, sampling theory, design of experiments, statistical modeling, econometrics etc.
To provide deep knowledge of advance statistical and computational skills and enhance their knowledge to pursue higher studies.
To provide hands-on applications of different statistical software like R, SPSS, Minitab, Python etc.
To develop student’s self-confidence and social skill to work effectively as part of a team while doing their project in the final semester.
After successful completion of the course students will be able to
Understand basic theoretical and applied principles of statistics with adequate preparation to pursue a Ph.D. or enter the job force as an applied statistician.
Transform their knowledge in the real world by analyzing and interpreting the data, building statistical models.
Summarize the technical reports and/or statistical analysis and interpret results.
Identify areas where ethical issues may arise in statistics.
M.Sc. (Operations Research) program remains the foremost choice among students desirous of serving in multinational companies, government organizations, complex industries, private sectors, management institutions, planning commission, hospitals and aviation industries and other institution. Students who possesses Ph.D. degree and are interested in the teaching profession can easily get the jobs in both government and private universities and colleges.
M.Sc. (Operations Research) program is of 2 year (4 semesters) degree program. The program seeks to train students in the basic techniques and theories of Operations Research and their applications to real-world problems. Masters in Operations Research provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to apply in modeling problematic real-life situations. It helps decision-makers solve the complex real-life problems faced by industries, companies, governments, and various other institutions. This program allows students to concentrate on mathematical programming, stochastic models, simulation, logistics, supply chain management, total quality management, marketing management, financial management, inventory and warehouse management, statistical quality management, scheduling management, and various other analytical aspects.
The program prepare students to help individuals and organizations to make better and wiser decisions. Operations Research specialists can take up a real world decision like deriving feasible production plans, optimizion of inventory and warehouse management. Students who complete their degrees in this discipline are expected to have a precious blend of mathematical modelling, computing, communication, decision making abilities and analytical skills. Therefore Operations Research has a very good scope in all over the globe.
The objective of this program is to develop the following skills among the students:
- Ability to think Professionally. Students can understand the general problem and then model them mathematically using appropriate solution techniques to obtain optimum or compromise solutions.
- Command in using Compuatational
learn to solve optimization problems through software packages, such as MINITAB, TORA, LINGO,
R, and Python.
- Expertise in building Mathematical Models. Students can adapt to and stay ahead of the rapidly changing modern world by creating new tools for unexpected demands.
- Expertise in Decision Making. Students become experts adept in quantitative methods, simulation, and decision theory and can tackle decision-making problems arised during the planning and management of complex systems.
- Self-Independent in Nature. Project assignment on real-life problems provides students the feel of a real-world work environment and not just an academic exercise.
At the end of this program, students will be able to:
- build their expertise in mathematical modeling
- gain flexible problem-solving skills based on a deep knowledge of optimization, mathematical modelings, data analysis techniques and the ability to apply them using appropriate software
- learn practical skills in programming and modelling for a wide range of applications
- expand their understanding related to management and decision making
ability to help others in making decisions in government sectors, institutions and productions and other industries
identify the goals and objectives of inventory and warehouse management and be capable of developing deterministic and stochastic inventory models.
manage the resources efficiently under various constraints
demonstrate the supplier selection process, understand quality management and supply chain management
The primary objective of the MSc. program in Data Science is to develop skilled professional workforce that is prepared to address the increasing needs in the rapidly expanding area of big data analytics. The program aims to provide skills in quantitative data analyses, data mining, data modeling and prediction, data storage and management, big data processing, data visualization, multimedia big data, programming and communication skills. Software based courses/ training and a large number of practical case studies have been integrated in the program to boost the learner confidence and market acceptability.
On completion of M.Sc. Data Science programme, graduates will be able to
· Become a skilled Data Scientist in industry, academia, or government organizations.
· Use specialist software tools for data storage, analysis and visualization.Independently carry out research/investigation to solve practical problems