Department of Petroleum Studies
About the Department
The University Grants Commission sanctioned the establishment of Institute of Petroleum Studies & Chemical Engineering in 1983, in a phased manner. The Institute also got financial assistance from His Highness Sheikh Zaid bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the then president of UAE, who visited Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh on January 01, 1975. Later this Institute was renamed as the Department of Petroleum Studies under the Faculty of Engineering & Technology. The Department is offering the following programs to serve the much felt need of deploying young professionals in Petroleum based industries and to bridge the gap between academic institutions and industrial requirements:
- Four year B.Tech. (Petrochemical Engineering)
- Two year M.Tech. (Petroleum Processing & Petrochemical Engineering)
B.Tech. and M.Tech. Programs have been
accredited for 5 years by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA)
The Department of Petroleum Studies, Aligarh Muslim University is pioneer in the northern India to offer the courses with focus for the training of the students in the field of Petroleum, Petrochemicals, Polymer and Gas processing in addition to the core courses of Chemical Engineering. It houses well equipped laboratories for teaching-learning as well as reasearch. The department with its well qualified staff is actively engaged in teaching and research and also contributes to the residential life of campus. Teachers of the department have published a number of research papers in international and national journals of repute.
To become a center of excellence for the development of the country and mankind by providing highly competitive professionals, cutting edge technologies and effective services to the academia and hydrocarbon industry.
- To provide education and training to the students for serving at national and global levels.
- To develop a strong R&D infrastructure for solving the technological needs of the global economy and human society.
- To develop vibrant and creative learning environment to produce technically sound, ethically strong and morally elevated human resource.