Procedure for Selection, Acquisition & Processing of Books
Selection of books
The selection of the books is based on the
· Suggestions/requests received from the faculty members,
· Suggestions/requests received from the research scholars and students
· Suggestions/requests received from different divisions of library i.e. TBI, TSD, RD and staff
· University Librarian may also recommend/select some books based on book reviews etc. books / Textbooks recommended in the different syllabi of the courses.
· Books selected by Faculty Members, University Librarian and other Library Staff from Book Exhibitions and Book Fairs organized/attended from time to time.
Requests are received on prescribed format, through the online link provided on the MA Library Web page/E-mail/by hand. The Collection Development Division then prepares a consolidated list after checking the available budget for purchase of books, as Budget is the most important component in document selection. Then the list is checked from the Library Catalogue/ OPAC to ensure avoidance of duplication. This list is finally approved by the Librarian.
· There are separate funds for MA Library and the College/Faculty/Institutes and Seminar Libraries of the departments may have separate funds.
· The fund of MA Library is utilized by the University Librarian according to the need and requirements of the users with emphasis on overall development of library collection.
· The funds of Faculty, College and Department of studies for books is utilized through University Library. For this purpose, the list of recommended books along with the mentioning of the head of account is sent to the University Librarian for procurement and the University Librarian is placed the orders subject to availability of funds in the head of account mentioned in the list, following the standard procedures/norms.
· Once selection is finalised the books are purchased from the vendors registered with M.A. Library. Orders are placed according to its budget.
· The Library can purchase books from the other vendors in case the registered vendors are unable to supply the same, in an exceptional case. The Library accepts only latest, Indian/paperback editions /latest reprints of the publications, unless otherwise specified. The Library ensures to get maximum possible discount on all books and in no case less than 20% (except Government/ Society/ reputed associations/ organizations/research institutes/ autonomous bodies/NCERT Publications/short discount/no discount publications).The orders are placed as per terms and conditions of M.A. Library. Only F.O.R. supplies are accepted. Timeframe for supply and cancellations is normally 4-5 weeks for foreign publication and two weeks for Indian publication. However in case of urgency due to need or approaching budget deadline or otherwise as the need be, the MA Library is free to fix the duration for supply of the ordered books. For unsupplied books reminders are sent to the vendors. Progress of each order is intimated from time to time.
· The University Librarian may also allow Faculty/College/Institute, Seminar Libraries of the Departments, Principal Investigator of Major Research Projects/SAP-DRS, etc. to purchase books directly/Expost facto as per terms and conditions of the University in very exceptional case for which written permission will be required from the University Librarian.
· In such cases, bills along with the books and authentic Price proof are sent to the M. A. Library for further processing.
· No bill(s) is processed until and unless the books are received in the Maulana Azad Library. The library accepts the bills as per conversion rates notified by Bank of India on the date of bill/invoice. Once the books are received in the Library, the book(s) are physically checked for any defect in printing, wrong pagination, torn pages etc. In such cases the books are returned to the vendor. The books are also verified with the order list such as- Author, title, edition – number/Indian /Foreign, paperback. The bills received from the vendors are thoroughly verified & checked for price verification, conversion and discount rates by the concerned staff of the Collection Development Division. All the relevant information is verified by the Head/In-charge of the Division.
· The book(s) are accessioned in the Accession register. The Accession Register is the basic record in the library about each document forming part of its collection. Entry for each book is made in the Accession register which has all the relevant details of a book such as name of the author, title, publisher, year of the publication, cost of the book, vendor etc. and this/these accession numbers is/are entered on the books and bills, which is verified by the Head/In-charge of the Section before forwarding the bill to Accounts section.
Payment of bills
· Book(s) once accessioned, the bill(s) are processed by the Account Section of Maulana Azad Library and sent to the Finance and Account Office of the University for Payment.
Gifts & Exchange
· The acquisition of Gift is one of the important source to develop the collection of the library. Gift is received in M.A. Library as per the selection policy of the gifted books. It is the responsibility of the Collection Development Division to determine whether or not the gift will be kept and incorporated into the library’s collection. Selection of the books is based on the thought contents i.e. author and publisher. After verification from the authentic electronic information sources the gifted items i.e. books/journals/CD/pamphlets etc. are accessioned in the accession register of gift. Once an accession number is assigned, it is deemed to be the property of the library. An acknowledgement is sent to the donor.
· Besides other miscellaneous work pertaining to Collection Development Division, replacement cost of lost books is also assessed in this section. This section however, deals with some of the basic records and registers. A number of files relating to the work is also maintained in the division.
Selection Process of Journals
· The M.A. Library sends the letters to the Deans with Departmental Journal’s list and previous fund allocation. Faculty Members may recommend the journal titles from their area of subjects/specialization and submit to the head of the department or to the concern authority.
· The Dean/ Chairman/Director/Principal/Coordinator may compile the list of journals recommended by their respective faculty members and a consolidated list shall be submitted to the University Librarian for the further necessary action at his end.
· If the list not received to the Library before or on the required date of receiving from their end then Librarian will again send a reminder to all the chairmen to send the list at the earliest. If no response received after reminders the Library will subscribe the same journals as subscribed in previous years.
Purchasing Methods of Print Journals/Online Journals
The purchasing methods for print/online journals consists the following standard procedure:
· Selection of Journals (Departments/Central Library)
· Preparation of priority list according to budget
· Sending list to empanelled Agencies for discount rates
· Prepare a report of comparative statement of discounted rates of journals
· Arrangement of Purchase Committee to finalizing the subscription orders
· Presenting the annual report, comparative list of discount rates, supply position of the Agencies before the Purchase Committee
· Taking approval from PC members for placing the subscription orders to the Agencies & Publishers
· Signing of Deed of Agreement with the Agencies to whom the subscription orders is to be send
· Placing of subscription orders to the Agencies/Publishers
· Receiving of invoices and checking througly like price, conversion, price proof etc
· Entry of invoices on the sheet & Libsys
· Processing of invoices for payment
Subscription/Renewal Method of Databases/E-Resources
· The subscription & renewal method for online Databases/E-Resources is different from print journals. The subscription/renewal of databases should be done according to the availability of funds, usability, usage statistics and recommendations received from the faculties and students.
· The University Librarian will arrange the meeting of PC to finalize the subscription of databases. The University Librarian will present a brief report among the PC members consists the usage statistics of the subscribed E-resources, demand of any new e-resource/database (if any) renewal of databases, subscription/renewal report of eShodhSindhu allocated resources to the University (if any). The report will consist of proposed e-resources to be subscribed for the next year according to the availability of funds.
· The PC members will negotiate all the resources with the invited vendors which have to be subscribed for the next year. The below standard procedure are followed to subscribe the e-resources/databases:
o Selection of E-resources/Databases
o Acquiring the usage statistics of the databses
o Preparation of the list of proposed e-resources
o Prepare a report/presentation for the PC members
o Inviting all the vendors whose product has be subscribe or renew
o Inviting all the PC members for negotiation/finalization of the resources
o PC members will negotiate all the proposed resources
o The University Librarian will send the subscription orders to the concerned vendors/agencies for the resources finalized by the PC members
Receiving of Journals & Data Entry in Different Stock Registers & Libsys 7.0
Once journals received in the Division the entry of all the supplied issues must be enter in the Libsys software, ledger register, supply position sheet and in transfer register.
Delivery of Journals to the Concerned Departments
It is the duty of the concerned department to collect their subscribed journals from the Division on time; however, the In-charge of Periodicals Division will send the reminders to the concerned chairperson of the departments to collect the journals as and when required. The Chairman may authorize any staff of their department and issue an authority letter to collect the journals from Periodicals Division.
Missing issues & Claims
· It is the duty of the In-charge/staff of periodical Division to send the claims on time for missing and unsupplied issues to the agency/publishers if the journals not received on time. The claims may be send on half yearly basis depending on the supply status of the journals.
· The previous year claims should be settled within one year from the subscription year’s or in next year depending on the conditions that if a journal has delayed publications or in transit may be avoid to include in claims, because the supply is more important than refund.
Procedure for Library Membership
The membership application form for Maulana Azad Library may be filled up online at http://malibrary.co.in/ra.php by students for renewal and fresh membership. A print out of the online filled form has to be submitted along with a passport size latest colored photograph in M. A. Library at Circulation Division after duly attested by the Provost of the respective Halls during working hours from 8.30 AM to 4.00 P.M. with one hour Lunch break from 1.30 AM to 2.30 P.M.
- University Employees
All the permanent employee (Teaching & Non-teaching) employees of the University can get the membership of the library after filling up a membership form duly attested by the Head of the Department/Office. The form is available at the circulation counter.
- Staff on Probation/Temp/ Guest Faculty
The staff on probation/temporary of Guest Faculty can get the membership of the library after filling up a membership form duly attested by the Head of the Department/Office along with a surety bound from the permanent employee of the university. Both forms are available at the circulation counter.
- Visitors/ Scholars from other Universities
The visitors/scholars from outside the university can get the membership of the library for a maximum period of one month, after filling up a membership form for visiting Scholars. They have to submit an introductory letter from their Research Guide/ Head of the Department/ Principal of the College, their valid Identity Card etc. along with their application form.
- Members retired from the University Services
Retired Employees of AMU can get the special membership of the library by filling up a membership form Membership and they have to submit an undertaking duly signed by the head of the department from he has retired.
- Special Membership
The respectable citizens of the Aligarh town and Students, Research Scholars, teachers and retired employees from other recognized institutions can get the special membership of the library by producing their bona fides to the satisfaction of the University Librarian, after filling up a membership form Membership and they have to submit requisite security fee as decided and notified by the management from time to time.
Procedure for Charging and Discharging of Book
The collection of the library has been distributed in different floors, sections and divisions. Any document can only be issued on loan from the circulation counter. The Library is using both closed in TBI (Text Book Issue) section and open access in different floors of the Library. The Library is currently using LibSys software for in house activities and 3M Security System to ensure that no document can be taken out from the library without issue.
Procedure for Issue of a Books
- Text Book Issue Section (TBI)
The books will be issued from Text Book Issue Section of the Circulation Division from 8.00 A.M. to 3.30 P.M. The borrower will select a book for his/her choice from the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) of the Library and note down the Call no. of a book on a slip. The borrower first deposit their requisition slips to staff of the TBI counter, if the book is available then present their borrower card at the issue counter. The Library staff will first scan the borrower card and then the bar code of a book, after that he will put the due date on the date slip of the book, then the book will be demagnetized by the machine so it can pass through the magnetic gate. The borrower card and book will be handed over to the borrower.
- General Books from Stacks
The Library is using Open Access System in Stacks for General Books, where users allowed going to the shelves and choosing a book, then book has to be given to the staff available in the different stacks. He will note down the details of the book and the users and hand over book to the user. The user will bring book and present both book and borrower card to the staff of issue counter for issuing of a book. The Library staff will first scan the borrower card and then the bar code of a book, after that he will put the due date of the date slip of the book, then the book will be demagnetize by the machine and borrower card and book will be handed over to the borrower. The books can be borrowed from 9.00 A.M. to 3.30 P.M.
- Procedure for Return of a Book
All the documents issued from the library will be returned at the Circulation Counter of the Library from 8.00 A.M. to 5.00 P.M. The user will present the book to the Staff available at the return counter of the Circulation Division; he will scan the Accession No. of a book through barcode reader and return the book.
Computer Applications Division:-
(i) Procedure for Plagiarism Checking (For more details, please visit- https://www.amu.ac.in/libraries/maulana-azad-library/plagiarism)
(ii) Procedure for Providing DELNET Inter Library Loan Services
For availing ILL services, user is required to submit an application requesting the ILL service with the following details of books/Articles.
o Author and
ILL requests can be registered online for books/articles and for the resources not available in the union catalogues and journal articles, requests can be sent to DELNET through E-mail by the Computer Applications Division. The requested books/articles are sent to 'University Librarian, Maulana Azad Library, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh-202002’ under ILL scheme through courier/post for a limited period only. The expenses of courier and photocopy of the books/articles are borne by the users.
(iv) Procedure for Activation of Grammarly Account
Users may register themselves by filling up the requisition form available on the Library webpage. Separate requisition forms for faculty members and research scholars are available on the library webpage at https://www.amu.ac.in/malibrary/
- The particulars of the candidate will be verified after filled in the requisition form received at the Computer Applications Division of Maulana Azad Library.
- The Computer Applications Division creates and maintains a database of Grammarly applicants in the MS-Excel file. The following particulars of the candidate is entered into MS-Excel database
o First Name
o Last Name
o Enroll No.
o User Type
o Library Membership No.
o Alternate E-mail
o E-mail Sent
- After that, the candidate will be registered for the Grammarly Premium Account using Grammarly Admin Panel.
- Once the candidate gets registered by the administrator, he/she will receive a self-generated e-mail with an activation link on his/her registered mail.
- The candidate is required to click on the activation link for activating the Grammarly Account.